Israel 1967 Through 1991
The years from 1967 through 1991 were a turbulent period in the Middle East reaching from the end of the Six Day War in 1967 through the beginning of the Oslo Peace Process in 1991. Israel continued to struggle with the Palestinian Arabs and neighboring Arab countries as they waged war on Israel, conventionally in the surprise attacks and invasion of the 1973 Yom Kippur War and through terrorism, diplomatic pressures, and economic warfare through use of the “oil weapon”. This period saw the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) emerge and be recognized as the Palestinian’s leader. The PLO masterminded some of history’s worst atrocities as they attempted to use terrorism to destroy Israel when it became clear that conventional wars were not going to achieve that goal.
The question topics are divided into rough time periods, although some subjects span several time periods.
1967 to 1973
- What did Israel do with the areas captured in the 1967 war?
- What was the Allon Plan?
- Doesn't the Fourth Geneva Convention make Israeli settlements illegal?
- Are the West Bank and Gaza "occupied territories" as Palestinain Arabs assert?
- What was the Khartoum Resolution of 1967?
- What was the War of Attrition during 1969-1970?
- What was the UN Jarring Mission in 1968-1970?
- What was the Rogers Plan in 1969?
- Who was responsible for the al-Aqsa Mosque fire in 1969?
- What was the 1969 Cairo Agreement between Lebanon and the PLO?
- Why did Jordan expel the PLO in 1970?
- What was Egypt's peace proposal in 1971-1973?
- Who murdered the athletes of the Israeli 1972 Olympic Team in Munich?
- What happened at the Lod Airport in 1972?
- What was the background of the Yom Kippur War in 1973?
- Who started the Yom Kippur War and what countries were involved?
- What was the course of the Yom Kippur War?
1973 to 1979
- What were UN Security Council Resolutions 338, 339, 340, and 344?
- What agreements were negotiated to end the Yom Kippur War?
- What was the result of the Yom Kippur War?
- What was the result of the oil embargo of 1973?
- What was the role of the Second UN Emergency Force (UNEF) in the Israel-Egypt disengagement?
- What has been the role of the UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) in the Golan Heights?
- What happened at the Geneva Peace Conference in 1973?
- What happened at Ma'alot, Kiryat Shmona, and other terrorist targets in the 1970s?
- What happened to the Syrian town of Quneitra?
- What was the 1974 PLO "Phased Plan" for Israel's destruction?
- What was the significance of the October 1974 Rabat Summit Conference of Arab leaders?
- Why was the PLO granted observer status at the UN in 1975?
- What are the UN committees and divisions that serve the interests of the Palestinians?
- What was behind the UN General Assembly resolution equating Zionism and racism?
- What did Yasser Arafat do in the 1970s and 1980s?
- What did the PLO do in Lebanon?
- What happened during Land Day in 1976?
- What is the story of the IDF's operation to release the hostages from Entebbe in July 1976?
- Why did President Anwar Sadat of Egypt visit Israel in 1977?
- What were the 1978 Camp David peace accords?
- What was the Litani River Operation, Israel's invasion of Lebanon in 1978?
1979 to 1987
- What was the Israel-Egypt Peace Agreement of 1979?
- Why did Israel unilaterally attack Iraq in 1981?
- What was the Fahd Plan of 1981 and Fez Initiative of 1982?
- Why was Anwar Sadat assassinated in 1981?
- Who attempted to assassinate the Israeli Ambassador to Britain in 1982?
- What was the 1982 Reagan Plan?
- Why did Israel invade Lebanon in 1982?
- What happened in Lebanon during the Israeli campaign there?
- What did the PLO do in Tunisia after leaving Lebanon?
- What happened at the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps in 1982?
- What was the 1983 UN International Conference on the Question of Palestine?
- What was the PLO Cairo Declaration of 1985?
- Why did Israel withdraw from Lebanon in 1985?
- What was Opearation Moses in 1985?
- What happened during the hijacking of the Italian cruise ship Achille Lauro in 1985?
1987 to 1991
- What was the relationship between Israel and Morocco's King Hassan?
- What started "the first intifada" in 1987?
- Why did Jordan renounce all claims to the West Bank (Judea and Samaria) in 1988?
- What was the Shultz Plan in 1988?
- What was the Algiers Declaration of a Palestinian State in 1988?
- Why did the PLO suddenly decide, in 1988, that Israel had a right to exist?
- What was Israel's May 1989 peace initiative?
- What was 1989 Baker peace plan?
- What was the effect of the Gulf War of 1991 on Israel and the Palestinian Arabs?
- What led to the Madrid Peace Conference in 1991?